Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Allergies on the Rise

I remember back to when I was a child and not knowing anyone with allergies. Nowadays, it seems like everywhere you turn, someone has an allergy of some sort whether it be food, pets, insect stings, pollens or something else.  According to Immunologists in the UK, fruit and vegetables are taking the place of peanuts as a major cause of allergies in children. (Nicole Butler of abc.net, April 8, '09)   My doc told me that in the past 10 years food allergies in children have increased by 10%. Wow, that's huge, what is going on?

I had no idea that one could develop food allergies later in life..but apparently they can..case and point.  Right now, I am sitting at the coffee shop and I have already heard two people asking for soy milk because they are allergic to dairy. My brother is allergic to dairy, what an awful allergy to have. He can't have cheese, ice cream, cake, milk, yogurt, etc.. I always feel bad for him when we go out and he has to confirm with his waiter/waitress that his entree doesn't contain dairy. Now, I feel his pain being that I am allergic to wheat. Yes, there are substitutes, but subs are almost never as good as the original (in my experience at least).

So, next time you are out with a friend who has an allergy, instead of rolling your eyes when they order (not that you do), go with the flow and count your blessings that you can eat whatever the heck you want. 

Til Next Time,

Playa Girl

"When you are courting a nice girl an hour seems like a second. When you sit on a red-hot cinder a second seems like an hour. That's relativity." - Albert Einstein

No comments:

Post a Comment